The office equipment in today's workspaces bears little resemblance to the machines of even the recent past. While keyboards are one common feature that has stood the test of time, few could have imagined the powerful data storage capabilities of computers, mobile devices, interactive whiteboards, scanners, and multifunction printing and copying systems with touchscreen interfaces.
It's these very differences that make it so important to proceed with caution when using, updating, transporting, and recycling today's advanced office equipment. Here's why it's so important.
Hidden Security Risks
Your office equipment contains caches of information that's very lucrative to criminals. By hacking into your networked multifunction system, mobile device, or other networked office equipment, cybercriminals can access rich databases full of sensitive information. Consider the payload hackers could find in the following industries:
- Healthcare — Protected Health Information (PHI) runs the gamut from insurance information to test and lab results.
- Education — Private student data like names, addresses, and transcripts.
- Manufacturing — New product development plans, customer lists.
- Finance — Banking and personal financial data including names, addresses, and social security numbers.
- Government — Tax and property records, law enforcement data.
- Human Resources Departments — Employee salary information, social security numbers, insurance data, etc.
- Retail — Customer databases including credit card numbers and passwords.
With so much at risk, it's imperative to take steps now to protect your network and your data from unauthorized users. Networked office equipment may save valuable information on hard drives, and business leaders would do well to treat multifunction systems, scanners, mobile devices and other devices with the same care as their computer systems.
If you're not sure where to begin, your equipment provider can work with your IT team to uncover potential security vulnerabilities caused by your devices. Contact us at American Business Equipment to learn more about this important issue today!